Monday, September 5, 2011

Darkness + Dawn

 




















Darkness + Dawn owner Kathy Kayhour at home with baby Dez in the El Cerrito Hills



Who's style do you most admire or have been inspired by?


I don't know if I have a specific icon, but Jane Birkin and Anna Karina are endlessly beautiful in everything. More than a style muse, I think I relate to different elements of the past. I love the early 70s glam era of gaucho pants, platforms and glitter and I'm also quite enamored of the middle to later 70s Joan Jett/Gaye Advert tough girl punk look. Now that I'm a mom, I'm trying to figure out how to practically channel style into my everyday life.



What were you like when you were a kid?

As a child I was extremely extroverted and relished at putting on "shows" for my parents' guests. I would lip synch to Madonna and show off my latest jazz routine without anyone ever asking! haha



What is your spirit animal?

 I've been told my spirit animal is a ferret, because I'm high energy and flit around from thing to thing. Not because I like to be kept as an indoor pet. I would say I'm more like a hummingbird than a ferret.


What is the your aesthetic?

the aesthetic I strive for now is "art" mom with a 70s bent.



How did you come about starting your own line?

I have always loved fashion, my mom still has drawings I made of different outfits titled "Fashion by Kathy" from age 10. I wished that I had gone to design school, because I'm not formally educated in the construction of clothing. This initially deterred me from attempting to put together a line, but after discussing it with a few friends I was encouraged to proceed forward. I wanted to create a collection that was rooted in menswear, but with feminine detailing. The kind of clothes that didn't require that much effort to put on, but lent an immediate injection of style to everyday clothing. My next collection is going to be a line of hand dyed, super soft shirts with images inspired by ancient egypt and transcendental mediation.





Darkness + Dawn




▲▲▲













No comments:

Post a Comment